I-9 Forms Quick Training
Keep This in Mind
- The employer MUST include copies of documents used to complete I9 when submitting form to HR!
- Section 1 must be completed on or before the first work day.
- The remainder of the form MUST be signed and in the HR office no later than three (3) business days from the first day worked. Since USU participates in E-Verify, the completed form must be submitted to HR by the morning of the third business day.
- Using documents other than those on the List of Acceptable Documents will invalidate the I-9.
- Maintain compliance with Federal laws and regulations.
- Ensure the national security and the integrity of the legal immigration system.
- Section 1 - Employee Information and Verification
- Have the employee complete Section 1 no later than the first work day.
- Ensure that the employee prints the information clearly. You are responsible for reviewing and making sure that your employee fully and properly completes Section 1.
- If needed, a preparer or translator may assist in filling out the I-9 form. After assisting the employee in completing Section 1, the employee signs or marks the form in the appropriate place. The preparer or translator must then complete the Preparer/Translator Certification block on the form.
- Section 2 - Employer Review and Verification
- The employee must present to you original document(s) that establish identity and employment eligibility within three (3) business days of starting work. (If the employee will work less than three business days, the entire form must be completed on the first day worked.)
- The employee must present from the Lists of Acceptable Documents:
- The employee must present one document from List A (which establishes both identity and employment eligibility).
- One from List B (to establish identity) and one from List C (to establish employment eligibility). Also any List B document used should contain a photograph.
Why do it:
What to do:
You will need to ensure that both Sections 1 and 2 are completed.
For further questions, contact the HR Banner Helpdesk at (435) 797-1810
- Because it has federal contracts, USU participates in E-Verify.
- It is an online system that matches information (like name and Social Security Number) provided on I-9 form with the government records.
- It is operated by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the Social Security Administration.
- It is designed to ensure the national security and the integrity of the legal immigration system.